More than 100 years of cultivated hospitality

How it all started

In the 19th century, a guesthouse known as the ”Gasthaus zur Stadt Würzburg“ was located on this site: a single storey building on the corner of the narrow ”Oberthürgasse“ with a shady garden, which was appreciated as an oasis in the bustling city even in those days. In 1908, Michael Erb bought the property and had it refurbished, a process that took three years. In 1911, the ”Würzburger Hof“ opened in new splendour.

Reopening

Large-format advertisement in the local and regional newspapers on the occasion of the opening of the ”Würzburger Hof“ in 1911: Erlaube mir hiermit, einer sehr geehrten Einwohnerschaft von Würzburg und Umgebung, insbesondere meiner werten Nachbarschaft sowie meinen Freunden und Bekannten, auch den HH. Geschäftsreisenden und Touristen, die ergebenste Mitteilung zu machen, dass ich am 1. Mai ds. Jrs. außer meiner seitherigen Parterrelokalitäten ein der Neuzeit entsprechendes Lokal im I. Stock eröffnen werde. Gestützt auf langjährige Erfahrung werde ich stets bemüht sein, durch streng reale Geschäftsführung, gute Küche, garantiert reine Weine und ff. Biere aus dem Brauhause Würzburg den Wünschen meiner geehrten Gäste entgegenzukommen. Besonders mache ich die HH. Reisenden auf meine durch Umbau neu eingerichteten Fremdenzimmer (mit elektrischem Licht), nur gute Betten, bei zivilen Preisen, aufmerksam. Bemerke noch, dass von nachmittags 4 Uhr ab helles Exportbier, direkt vom Fass, zum Ausschank gelangt. Montag, den 1. Mai (1911): Eröffnungsfeier mit Konzert. Um zahlreichen Besuch bitten Michael Erb und Frau.

Destruction

The ”Würzburger Hof“ was considered one of the top addresses in town from the outset. In the first decade of its existence, the building was extended several times and other storeys were added, despite the First World War and persistent inflation. As the economy recovered, the Erb founding family decided in 1924/25 to build an extensive new structure. The magnificent building with its stucco decorated facade and gold-coloured ”Würzburger Hof“ inscription was visible from afar for anyone coming straight from the railway station into the city centre via Kaiserstraße. At the time, hotel guests’ cars, which were – unlike horses, carts and carriages – still rather rare in urban traffic, were parked by a servant and ordered on request. During the Second World War, Würzburg’s historic old town was almost completely destroyed (90%). During the devastating bombings of March 16th 1945, the ”Würzburger Hof“ was aflame, too. Of the numerous details in coloured marble, only the stairway leading from the vestibule up to the first floor remained intact. Thus the ensuing reconstruction proved a challenge.

Today

Today the ”Würzburger Hof“ is resplendent with its magnificent facade in traditional castle yellow, decorated with delicate white stucco. The hotel remained in the ownership of the founding family until 2012 when the third generation – the granddaughter of the founder, Martha Heinen-Kerkel, and her husband Karl Kerkel – prudently passed on their tradition-rich hotel. In future, the history of the ”Würzburger Hof“ will be written by experienced hotelier, Sabine Unckell.